Queen Anne Book Company
1811 Queen Anne Ave N, Seattle WA 98109
The manager oversees all aspects of the independent, neighborhood bookstore operations, in-store and online. The manager works with the owners to ensure a lively welcoming store that reflects the diverse needs of the customers and Queen Anne neighborhood. Bookstore hours are currently 10:00 am - 6:00 pm weekdays, and 10:00 am - 5:00 pm weekends. The manager position is 30-40 hours/week.
Day-to-day store operations
- Oversight of staff and all operations, including customer service, merchandising, and stock management
- Create a welcoming environment with constantly rotating displays reflective of current themes and issues
- Oversight of receiving, inventory management, shipping and returns
- Preparation and coordination of invoices and accounts payable
- Create monthly and daily staff schedules
- Ensure safety of our staff and customers
Overall store operations
- Establish annual buying budgets with owners and buyers
- Together with owners and IT consultants, ensure computer hardware and software is up-to-date, and evaluate future needs.
- Work directly with IBIDie personnel to keep POS system current, troubleshoot problems, and to maximize inventory data
Marketing and events
- Oversight of store website and content
- Oversight of marketing program, including Instagram, Facebook, and other social media postings
- Create direct email campaigns to communicate with store constituencies
- Oversight of an annual events program, including author signings, release events, and storytimes
- Coordinate store participation in regional an national bookstore events
- Work with owners to ensure proper staffing level and oversee recruiting and hiring
- Guide staff to maximum development and performance through training and performance evaluations
- Ensure proper attendance and representation at national and regional industry conferences and meetings
- Together with owners and staff, create and maintain relationships with important community organizations
- Allocate staff resources to ensure a successful schools program with emphasis on buying programs for classrooms and libraries, as well as efforts to develop young readers
Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- Experienced bookseller
- Understanding of book and gift buying
- Knowledge of bookstore POS and inventory management systems
- Knowledge of social media
- Enthusiastic and devoted reader
- Staff leadership with demonstrated values of kindness, humor and inclusivity
Health and commitments:
- Full COVID-19 vaccination by the start of employment
- Commitment to the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Hours and Compensation
Hours are negotiable, 30 - 40 hours per week. Pay commensurate with experience and qualifications. Target start date mid April.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Bookstore Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
About our Store
Queen Anne Book Company is a full-service independent, neighborhood bookstore serving the Queen Anne community since 2013. QABC is owned by longtime Queen Anne residents, who are booklovers with a passion for the idea that neighborhood bookstores serve as the heart of their communities.
QABC serves as a community hub where reading, meeting and discussing books is a daily pursuit. Our store offers a carefully curated selection of new fiction, nonfiction, children’s, young adult, cookbooks and bestsellers. We are known for our robust children’s and young adult sections. Our enthusiastic booksellers are devoted readers who delight in matching customers with their next perfect book. Our store features more than 200 staff recommendations, making book shopping easy and fun. QABC is a welcoming, kind, and inclusive space. .
Among our services are neighborhood home delivery, complimentary gift wrapping, a full-service website for browsing and buying, and gift certificates. We host a monthly book group for readers of all ages. We sponsor local and national author readings, signings, and book launches.